Thursday, December 1, 2011

Vinegar... Not Just for Salads


Most studies show that vinegar dates back to 8500 b.c to 4000 b.c and has a reputation for healing wounds and other health ailments. It was most likely discovered on accident very similar to wine when it ferments over time. Today we commonly use it for cooking and ask for it on our salads and french fries. We probably never looked at this simple ingredient as something that could be so important and have so many beneficial uses. First, before we get to the good stuff let’s start with the definition of vinegar...

vin·e·gar An impure dilute solution of acetic acid obtained by fermentation beyond the alcohol stage and used as a condiment and preservative

And in what I like to call the silly stupid definition it basically means that vinegar is made from anything containing sugar. There are so many different types but the most common are cider, white, red/white wine and balsamic vinegar. I recently saw a pin for using white distilled vinegar as a substitute for fabric softener and thought this would be a great "To - Do". I don't use any fabric softener due to my overly sensitive skin which in the past would cause me to break out in hives from the chemicals and strong scents. Being that vinegar doesn't contain any unnatural components thought it would be safe to try. However, I could be typing this while broken out in hives but I guess you'll have to read the rest of the post before finding out how this review ends. :-) My experiment did focus on the homemade fabric softener but I want to also point out some very interesting and beneficial uses I found while doing some research.

- It can soothe sunburn and can even prevent blistering
- It can be used to keep insect bites from itching
- It can help relieve sinus infections, colds, upset stomach and sore throats
- It can be used in gardening
- It can be used in household cleaning
- It can be used for pretty much ANYTHING
I seriously had no idea that vinegar can be used almost every day and I've left it abandoned in the back of my spice cupboard for a very long time! It got a promotion to the front of the cabinet right after finding out it can add highlights to brunette hair if used while rinsing your hair in the shower!

Okay, getting back on track with the fabric softener. I decided to give it a try yesterday while washing my towels, which was perfect for putting vinegar to the test because they are not their brand new white color nor are they fluffy anymore.  I took 1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar and added 3 drops of lemon essential oil (optional) and added it to the last rinse cycle. Putting a new use to the term Oil and Vinegar. After taking them out of the washer I didn't really see much of a difference but after they were dry I could definitely notice their color was much more vibrant, they were fluffy and soft, and on top of that they had a fresh lemon scent.

So to conclude, I am not covered in hives and am pleasantly surprised with the outcome of this once underappreciated product. For around $2 you can purchase white distilled vinegar and I highly recommend doing so or finding it in your cabinet. This is a 
"Definitely Do" for you who love green and economical products, especially one that can be used for over a thousand purposes.

Here are some of the helpful links I found on using vinegar that you might like as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment