Monday, January 9, 2012

Mac N Cheese Bites, Bite

On Friday, while watching The Chew my mom and I saw these delightful looking mac n cheese bites -- a fun spin on your regular favorite cheesy dish. We printed the recipe and immediately knew we would give them a try later that day.


You'll be able to find the recipe on the link above for The Chew but here are a few of the steps and tips we have from making these.


You'll first get your mac n cheese made and as you can see it makes a huge heaping batch (once this is made you'll put it in the refrigerator to help the mixture to stick together, about 15 minutes)


Then you'll dip scoops of your mac n cheese mix into flour,egg,and bread crumbs (using an ice cream scoop is the best way to do this and help to avoid a huge mess)


After that, you'll put them on a plate to wait while your oil heats to 350 degrees (you'll want enough oil to cover about 1 to 2 inches over your bites)


Once your oil is hot enough, place about 5-6 cheese bites into the oil. You'll want to leave them in their for about 5 minutes, until golden brown all around.


Then remove them and place onto a plate to cool and your ready to eat them all up.


I would say these are a great idea for a party but wouldn't necessarily say they are better then the good ole' mac n cheese baked dish. I thought they tasted like the oil, however my mom loved them and my dad enjoyed them with some ketchup -- to each his own. I think I would only make these for people I really love because they are extremely messy to make and take about 30 minutes just to roll all the cheese balls for the oil. When all is said and done personally I think it's a "Definitely Don't" but you can be the judge on this one after you give them a try.

My Tip: I found sprinkling a bit of garlic salt over them once they have cooled gave them a better flavor. I also recommend serving with a side of Dijon mustard.


"Now get out there and make something beautiful and from the heart"




1 comment:

  1. A "Definitely Do" for this dish would be taking your left over macaroni mix, topping it with bread crumbs and butter, then baking it in the oven for about 30 minutes. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete